The question that I see asked over and over on the Teachers Pay Teachers forums is, “Should I upgrade to a premium seller account on teachers pay teachers?” Heck, I asked that same question when I was getting started. I’m going to give you 5 reasons why the definitive answer is YES.
Top 5 Reasons Why You Should Upgrade to a Premium Seller Account
- No Regrets – I have yet to hear a seller say that they regretted the decision to upgrade. You can search the forums for hours and won’t find one person saying that they were disappointed in the upgrade. In fact, I often see people mention that they wish they had done it sooner.
- Accountability – By upgrading your account you are telling yourself that you are going to give Teachers Pay Teachers a run for the money. You now have a stake and will hold yourself accountable for trying to earn those monthly commission checks. Without some skin in the game I feel that it’s much easier to make excuses on getting started.
- Low-Cost – The cost of a premium seller membership is currently $59.95. I personally believe this is an absolute steal for what you receive. My wife and I are both teachers and I know that many household budgets are tight, but $60 over the course of years comes out to under $5/month. Even science teachers can do this basic math.
- Keep More Money – By upgrading your account you are keeping more than 25% of your money (85% commission for premium, 60% for non-premium). Those are massive savings! Not only are you saving on commission fees, but you don’t have to pay a transaction fee which is currently set at 30 cents per transaction. That doesn’t sound like a ton of money, but if you are selling $3 products you are paying 50% in fees (commission+transaction) to TPT. I love TPT, but I love money more.
- Homepage Product Placement – Once you have a premium seller account your store and products are eligible for placement on the homepage. That placement is rotating and random, but it does bring in traffic to your store.
I would suggest that you wait until you sell one item before upgrading. Once you sell that item everything else becomes so much easier. You will have proved to yourself that the TPT model works for you and then you can start scaling up your new business.
There are very few things that are as black and white as this. I simply don’t buy into the logic that someone should wait until they have made $60 on TPT before upgrading. By that time you could have given back $30 and you’re still back at ZERO after purchasing the premium membership.
Sell that first product and then upgrade your account.